What goes on in my life,
in my head,
and in the world.
The Google trend for the search query “quadratic formula”.
It repeats in the same pattern every year. Down in summer, up in September, down again in December and up again in spring time before going down again in the summer. And so it goes on forever.
"The nicest Satanic cult in the world" gets a little creative.
Did you know that Monet stated that we wished he was born blind. Similarly, Picasso said that painting was a blind man’s profession, because blind people have a clearer vision of reality.
So what is it about the blind that make artists from all around a tad bit jealous?
Scientists looked at famous painter Esref Armagon, a man blind from birth. His art hangs in museums all around the world. He can draw landscapes and scenery with precision. This is his art:
Armagon went to a lab to have his brain scanned as he drew freehand. He was given objects to feel such as a toy or a cup and asked to draw them.
What scientists found was amazing. His brain scan resembled a sighted person’s brain scan.
Although his no visual light reflected of his eyes and entered swept through his visual cortex, his visual cortex was buzzing with activity.
What was going on is that his visual cortex was recruited by other senses such as touch and hearing. Armagon was successfully able to translate touch into images in his mind.
SOURCE: The Body Has A Mind of Its Own by Sandra & Matthew Blakeslee
BUT THE COLOR?? HOW??? WHAT????????
I’M JUST AS AMAZED/PERPLEXED AS YOU
every now and my cat does something very human like and i get very nervous and ask him “are you a person trapped in a cat’s body. or did you choose this body” very seriously to see if this time he will communicate with me and he always kinda looks to the side and then does what i imagine to be a person doing a bad impression of a cat and it makes me so nervous cuz i do way too much weird shit around my cat for him to actually be a dude pretending to be a cat
That moment in your childhood when you realize that Diagon Alley is just the word diagonally….
And the Mirror of Erised is just the word desire backwards.
Didn’t even realize. Does that mean Knockturn Alley is nocturnally (dark/night)?
Yes, and Grimmauld Place is a play on grim old place.
And Dumbledore is just a dumb old door
when u accidentally hurt ur friends feelings and they insist that its fine but u know it isnt
wow this made me sad. (via jumpscare)
- Over-explanation. This includes prologues. “Prologues are never needed. You can usually throw them in the garbage. They’re usually put on as a patch.”
- Too much data. “You’re trying to seduce your reader, not burden them,” Friedman said.
- Over-writing, or “trying too hard.” “We think the more description we add, the more vivid it will be; but we don’t want to be distracted from the story” we open the book for.
- Beginning the novel with an interior monologue or reflection. Usually this is written as the thoughts of a character who is sitting alone, musing and thinking back on a story. Just start with the story.
- Beginning the novel with a flashback. Friedman isn’t entirely anti-flashback, but the novel’s opening page is the wrong place for one.
- Beginning a novel with the “waking up sequence” of a character waking, getting out of bed, putting on slippers, heading for the kitchen and coffee…a cliche
- Related cliche: beginning the novel with an alarm clock or a ringing phone
- Starting out with an “ordinary day’s routine” for the main character
- Beginning with “crisis moments” that aren’t unique: “When the doctor said ‘malignant,’ my life changed forever…” or “The day my father left us I was seven years old…”
- Don’t start with a dialogue that doesn’t have any context. Building characterization through dialogue is okay anywhere else but there.
- Starting with backstory, or “going back, then going forward.”
- Info dump. More formally called “exposition.”
- Character dump, which is four or more characters on the first page.
Me: Joins tumblr for fun
Me: starts to critically analyze almost every aspect of modern society